The following awards were given out at the Band Banquet on Tuesday, June 5 and during the Awards Assemblies on Wednesday, June 6.
- BAND BANQUET:
- The BPA Executive for 2017/2018 was dedicated and committed to KISH Band events, meetings, and fundraisers this past year. Many thanks for all your work. They are:
President: Francis Wiegers
Vice President: Katherine Elsinga
Vice President: Monica Ramsay
Secretary: Sandra McKenna
Treasurer: Arlene MacAusland
Fundraising Advisors: Trevor Moase and Sheila Simmonds
Uniform Chairs: Emma Gallant and Sandra McKenna
- Plaques were given out to the Student Band Co-Presidents for 2017/2018 who worked to help make KISH Band fun throughout the year. With thanks, they are: Presidents: Shannan Hill and Bethany Spencer
The rest of the executive helped with some of the events throughout the year. With thanks, they are:
Vice President: Caleb McKenna – gr. 11
Secretary: Lily Greenan – gr. 11
Band Manager: Skye MacAusland gr. 12 and Chloe Greenan gr. 11
Uniform Captain: Emilie Rielly gr. 10 and Nicole Boucher gr. 10
Intermediate Representative: Hillary Murray gr. 9
3. KISH Band had two students participate in the Maritimes Honours Band at Mt. Allison University in November 2017
Shannan Hill on flute Bethany Spencer on flute
4. KISH Band had three Grade 9 P.E.I. Intermediate Honours Band participants in January 2018
Reese Carmody on flute Megan MacDonald on trombone
Lily Greenan on clarinet
5. KISH Band Relay for Life team – Event held at Three Oaks Senior High May 16. The following were on the KISH Band team:
- Julia Griggs – grade 8 7. A. J. Cahill – grade 11
- Lily Greenan – grade 9 8. Chloe Greenan – grade 11
- Megan MacDonald – grade 9 9. Caleb McKenna – grade 11
- Hillary Murray – grade 9 10. Adam Spencer – grade 11
- Zack Pendleton – grade 9 11. Bethany Spencer – grade 12
- Emilie Reilly – grade 10 12. Shannan Hill – grade 12 Team Captain
6. Medals and Certificates were given out to each member of the Concert and Jazz Bands for 2017-2018 and certificates with what bands/events they participated in.
7. Medals /Certificates
All Grade 12 students who will graduate (5 in total)received a certificate indicating what bands/events they participated in and a gold medal that has a music logo on it and is engraved on the back with “years of participation in the band program 2018.” These medals and certificates went to:
|1. JB Shannan Hill|
|2. JB (Jazz Band only) Johnathan Lauwerijssen|
|3. JB Bethany Spencer|
|4. JB Becca Wiegers|
|5. Skye MacAusland|
8. Shannan and Bethany and the Student Band Executive – representing the student band executive handed out Concert/Jazz Band Student Fun Awards – These awards were created by the experiences of students in Senior Band for 2017-2018.
9. The Adrian Hamilton-Irving Band Parent Award (large plaque and small keeper plaque) – this award went to the parent who you all have voted for who demonstrated commitment and dedication to the KISH Band Program. Heather Hamilton-Irving was here to present this award. The winner of this Band Parent Award for 2018 was:
FINAL AWARD OF THE NIGHT
10. Alysha Toombs Spirit Award (large plaque and small keeper plaque) – “Awarded to the Outstanding Band Member Chosen by their Peers In Honour of Alysha Toombs.” Alysha Toombs was a band student who in her grade 10 year passed away. She was a flute player, but not only that she was a giving individual who volunteered her time to help others. She was very well liked in band and was very much a leader. In honour of Alysha this year’s winner for 2018 was:
II. AWARDS ASSEMBLIES on Wednesday, June 6 the following awards were given out for MUSIC.
11. Intermediate Awards Assembly starting at 1:30 pm. Award of Excellence Certificates to the top band students in:
i. Grade 7 Award – Sietse de Backer
ii. Grade 8 Award – Brynne MacAusland
iii. Grade 9 Award – Hillary Murray
12. A Plaque to the Most Dedicated Intermediate Band Student – Megan MacDonald
13. Senior Awards Assembly starting at 7 pm
i. A Plaque to the outstanding concert band member – Skye MacAusland
ii. A Plaque to the outstanding Jazz band member – Shannan Hill
iii. A Plaque to the most dedicated concert and jazz band member “The Music Teacher Recognition Award” – large plaque that stays at the school and a keeper plaque for the recipient winner goes to: Bethany Spencer and Becca Wiegers
- The following Grade 12 students will be graduating on June 21st and the following list of Music awards will be given out.
|1. Shannan Hill||2. Johnathan Lauwerijssen||3. Skye MacAusland|
|4. Bethany Spencer||5. Becca Wiegers|
- Anne Campbell Award valued at $300 given to the student who plans to further their study in music or the arts.
- Music 621 class prize for the highest average in Music 621 valued at $100 donated by the BPA
- Long and McQuade prize valued at $25 given to a music student
- The Arts Award – a new award valued at $500 donated by Shelley Moase is given to a student who demonstrates leadership abilities in the arts, attending post secondary school, volunteers to help, demonstrates the ability to recognize and step up when help is needed, and who marches to their own drum.