It has been an eventful fall with lots of band activities, fundraising events, and concerts. A reminder of the bagging groceries event at Mike’s Independent on Saturday, December 23. This is a great opportunity to earn credits for our Festival Band trip to Halifax in April.
As we enter winter and the Christmas season, I want to extend my Christmas wishes and blessings to you all for a safe and happy festive season with lots of family, joy, fun and music.
Merry Christmas everyone!
(As stated in the announcements on Friday) 1. Congratulations to all the music students who performed in the concert Thursday night. Great job!
2. Thank yous to our stage crew from the Leadership class: Keegan Rix, Timmy Yorke, Emily MacDonald, Heather Gravina, and Shianne Adams. The backstage performance went smoothly with your assistance.
3. Thank you to Cindy Ramsay and Eamon Graham for helping with supervision and the sound. You helped to make the evening run smoothly and sound good.
4. Thank you to Karen Clark for the lovely Christmas decorations on the stage and out front of the stage. You helped to create a real festive atmosphere. Your decorations in the hallway overlooking the gym and in the junior high hallway, have added to the festiveness at KISH.
5. Thank you to my Music 801 class who helped with the transport of equipment to and from the stage. Your assistance is appreciated.
6. There is NO early morning concert, jazz band,
or senior band class
7. Saturday, December 23 is bagging groceries at Mike’s Independent. Here is a message from Sheila Simmons:
Hey again! Just a friendly reminder of the grocery bagging event at Mike’s Independent on Saturday, December 23rd from 10am-6pm. Looks like we have a full house for student volunteers….thanks so much!! We still have a few opportunities for parents so if you are available for even an hour, please sign up!
Some housekeeping notes as well:
Students are reminded to wear their white band shirts, BLACK DRESS PANTS (No jeans), and comfortable shoes. Please also remember that long hair should be tied back.
Please review the shifts that you have signed up for and please try your best to come 5 minutes early and meet in the break room upstairs.
Please also remember: No gum chewing, No cell phones and keep hands clean.
Thanks so much and look forward to a fun and profitable day on Saturday the 23rd.
PS….I will be sending out an email after the holidays regarding forming the committee for the Candlelight Dinner coming up in February. Many hands make light work and this event really runs like clockwork with the help of a few key responsibilities. If anyone is interested in helping plan/prepare for this awesome fundraiser…please pop me off an email @ email@example.com and we can get the fun going early in the new year. We only hold 1 face-to-face meeting and the rest is planned by email once everyone has their job role sorted out. We have a lot of fun with the preparation and it is always awesome to see how it all comes together!
Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and New Years!
“I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas. . .” KISH Christmas Concert, featuring the concert and jazz bands, will also include, soloists, ensembles, dancers, storytellers, etc. will take place on Thursday, December 14 at 7 pm. Come out and hear the wonderful music of Christmas at KISH. The schedule for the warm up before the concert will be posted on the band blog. All concert and jazz band members are expected to be there and wearing a full uniform for this event.
Christmas Concert on Thursday, December 14 will follow this schedule for the evening:
Rehearsal for individual performers(singers, instrumentalists, dancers) – 5 pm
Rehearsal for Christmas Concert – 5:30 pm Concert Band
Rehearsal for Christmas Concert – 6 pm Jazz Band
Cafeteria doors open up to the public 6:45 pm
Band members and performers line up in the hallway from the stairs to the cafeteria doors welcoming guests to the concert.
6:55 pm Jazz Band members on stage ready for performance. This year the jazz band will open the Christmas Concert and the concert band will close the concert. All performers are asked to stay until the end of the concert for the curtain call.
“Christmas Concert” begins at 7 pm
Senior Band schedule for the week of Monday, December 11 to Friday, December 14 is posted under “Senior Band Schedule” or by clicking on the link:
Lots are happening in senior band for December click on the link to see.
KISH Band December Newsletter
Dear Band Parents;
December Band Notes
- Congratulations to Nicole Boucher for your performance of the “Last Post” at the Cenotaph in Kensington for the Remembrance Day Service.
- Sunday, December 3 at the Train Station in Kensington, the KISH Flute Trio consisting of: Shannan Hill, Emilie Reilly, and Bethany Spencer, will be performing some Christmas tunes starting at 5:30 pm after the parade. A thank you goes out to Trevor Moase for inviting the students to participate in this event.
- Congratulations everyone on the amount of Christmas Wreaths, 349, sold this year. Thank yous goes out to the organizers: Sandra McKenna and Emma Gallant. Thank yous also go out to all the student and parent helpers.
- Starting on Monday, December 4 in the music room “Secret Santa.” The student band executive put a limit of $10 for the Secret Santa gift. This was a fun event last year, so it is continuing. This event will last for two weeks, until Friday, December 15. Students had the option of opting out, but all students joined in on the fun.
- Plans are well on the way for the KISH Band Festival Trip to Halifax April 25-27, 2018. To help support payment efforts, the first of three deposits are due on Monday, December 4. This first deposit is for $100. You have 3 options and the BPA executive need to know as soon as possible which you are going to do.
- Pay 100% of the deposit with cash/cheque
- Pay 100% of the deposit with band credits
- Pay a portion of the deposit with credits and the rest with cash/cheque.
Please email Arlene and let her know which are you going to do. She needs to know before Monday, so she can get receipts made up for those paying cash and to know which students to look for on Monday. You can email Arlene at firstname.lastname@example.org . Arlene is looking after band credits this year, so if you are wondering how many your child has, she has the list.
- Wednesday, December 6 is our monthly BPA Executive meeting starting at 5:30 pm. The BPA meetings are opened this year to any band parent who would like to attend. The meetings are held in the boardroom in the office or in the music room, depending on the number of people.
- On Thursday, December 7 starting at 7 pm the KISH Band is having a Christmas Party for all concert and jazz band members at A.J. Cahill’s home. Come out to the Cahill residence and enjoy the Christmas spirit and fun.
- “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas. . .” KISH Christmas Concert, featuring the concert and jazz bands, will also include, soloists, ensembles, dancers, storytellers, etc. will take place on Thursday, December 14 at 7 pm. Come out and hear the wonderful music of Christmas at KISH. The schedule for the warm up before the concert will be posted on the band blog. All students are to wear a full uniform for this event.
- Our next fundraiser will be grocery bagging at Mike’s Independent on Saturday, December 23. More information coming soon.
- Winner of Ms Profit’s Christmas Wreath credits is Reese Carmody. The winning ticket was picked by Shannan Hill – student band co-president.
KISH is a great school with a wonderful group of individuals, students/parents who support it. Here’s to keeping the spirit going! Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and Holiday Season.
KISH Band Director
Senior Band schedule for the week of Monday, December 4 to Friday, December 8 is posted under “Senior Band Schedule” or by clicking on the link: https://kishband.wordpress.com/senior-band-information/